Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mystery of the Dragonfly


Mystery of the Dragonfly, watermedia: acrylic, 10 X 14 inches (image size). To see more of Donna's artwork, visit her website.

I have always been intrigued by dragonflies.  In my small backyard pond, I have watched them transform from nymph into dragonfly and spread their lacy wings.  A few years ago I read a meditation from  And God Saw that It Was Good by Carlo Carretto (edited), "What, pray, do you know about dragonflies? Or what happens when they die? What if, at that moment, there were high festival? What if pain turned into joy. What if death became life, more life, all life? " Of course he was speaking metaphorically about human life, all life, and death.  I think and paint metaphorically or symbolically.  The painting above is one of six dragonfly paintings, and it celebrates the mystery of life with its contrasts of light and dark that bring about change. Just "what" do we know?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment