Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Dark Horses

 
Dark Horses (section)
This is an image that I have struggled with.  My current working process involves intuitive image making, letting myself be led by the color and ideas until the image resolves itself. The horses are from a photo that I took of horses hanging out near a windmill one hot arid summer out west.  I wanted to capture some of that feeling in the work. Last summer I did two backgrounds with the horse painting in mind and finally got as far as painting the horses, but did not finish the work. This summer I was working on the painting above not knowing what it would become.  Then I just happened upon the horses that I had painted on rice paper last summer. They became part of this image. I will probably work some more with the idea because it still does not feel fully realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment